The main duties of a Physiotherapy Assistant is to work alongside with the therapist in helping to teach and train patients to work and live efficiently within their limitation of mobility. Your focus would be on assisting clients to regain and strengthen their range of motion capabilities and allow them to effectively perform their daily routines. Illnesses and disabilities can vary drastically and you must be able to assist and attend to problems ranging from major motor vehicle accidents to minor muscle strain.
What Is An Occupational Therapist Assistant
The main duties of an Occupational Therapist Assistant is to work closely alongside the therapist in helping them implement activities and exercises specified in a treatment plan developed for each patient. Occupational Therapist Assistant will be responsible for administering and participating in group and/or individual activities for patients with various disabilities or disorders including hearing and visual impairment, spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis, depression and Alzheimer’s. You will also be providing encouragement and reassurance to your patients as you help them deal with their illness and assist in achieving their full potential.
Program Objectives / Job Opportunities
Duties and Responsibilities
- physiotherapy treatments
- test & measure patients during assessments
- prepare treatment areas and equipment,
- implement different treatment programs, including but not limited to therapeutic exercises, gait training activities, activities of daily living, activity analysis) wheelchair measurements and fitting
- heat and cold physical agents,
- electrotherapy agents (TENS – IFC- EMS machine, etc),
- mechanical physical agents (ultrasound, whirlpool, traction etc),
- massage techniques,
- basic splinting, assistive devices and other various treatment procedures.
Once you have earned your diploma in Physiotherapist Assistant, you can find employment within:
- PHYSIOTHERAPY CLINICS
- HOME HEALTH CARE
- REHABILITATION CENTRE
- SPORT MEDICINE CLINICS
- LONG TERM CARE FACILITIES
- COMMUNITY HEALTH AGENCIES
- INSURANCE COMPANIES
- OTHER MEDICAL SETTINGS